I detail my experiences with Windows Home Server

Monday, January 11, 2010

Accounts: Crystal Ball Polished!

I've continued to fool around with WHS; instead of fixing one problem and moving on, I've found 3 or 4 more problems! But back to the previous post regarding user accounts:

1. Is the password from the nettop syncing to the backup on the server, or the Remote Connection account?


The password is syncing to the Remote Connection account. Each user has their own "shared" folder on the server; the password (and account) lets the server know who is connecting, and which shared folder to show. Who likes having their own cloud-based storage?!?! (Even if the "cloud" is in the basement!)

2. What happens if I have other accounts on other computers named "Tyler"? Would a backup from another computer overwrite the nettop "Tyler" backup?

As long as they all have the same password, I should be fine.

3. Are backups account-based? For example, my fiancee also has administrator account on the nettop - did that get backed up as well, or just the "Tyler" account?

They are NOT account-based; for some reason, the default backup option only backed up my "documents" partition on the nettop. After changing the backup configuration via the Console, the entire machine was backed up overnight. Things are starting to be clear now!

No comments: